Master of Science in Applied Economics
Would you like to learn how to break down data and economic theories to their core, to better understand and apply them? Learn through real-world cases and the latest in data science techniques.
|Full-time Duration:||24 months|
|Tuition Fee:||10.330 EUR|
WHY STUDY APPLIED ECONOMICS?
This master’s programme provides you with a solid foundation in core economic theories, together with the tools to apply them in real-life situations. It will prepare you for the modern economy, with insight you can apply to making informed business decisions and market analysis. It has a quantitative focus, using analytical tools to simulate economic models. You will analyse data and apply empirical results to solve economic problems, stimulate growth, and prescribe optimal business performance. Through this programme you will develop the ability to analyse how decisions impact both businesses and society as a whole.
WHAT WILL YOU LEARN?
This programme has a quantitative focus and integrates data science techniques in courses to simulate economic models and analyse data. You will develop strong analytical skills and learn a framework for analysis that can be applied to a great variety of areas, ranging from international trade, business cycles and financial markets, to firm competition, market analysis, and strategic behaviour.
You will learn basic programming and data management, and you will learn the main econometrics estimation methods, using both time series and panel data. You will apply these methods to cases relevant for businesses. The emphasis on analytical and quantitative skills throughout the programme will enable you to understand and develop strategies based on statistics, therefore improving on decision making in this digital age.
Among the most popular topics, you will find:
- Incentives, Wages and Labour Markets: Understand recent trends in labour markets related to technological innovation (digitalisation and automation) and globalisation, and gain knowledge and skills necessary to quantitatively analyse labour markets, wage determination, and human resource management.
- Macroeconomics: Learn the models and empirical techniques used by leading macro-analysts, and analyse macroeconomic events by simulating numerical models. Typical topics are investment, sustainable development, inflation, and how monetary and fiscal policy affect the economy and business.
- Data and programming: Learn basic programming for data management, data analysis, and model simulation.
- You will have the opportunity to learn directly from leading economists within fields such as Econometrics and Statistics, Industrial Organisation, and Microeconomics. You will become part of an environment that has strong ties to both the business community and policy makers.
The MSc in Applied Economics programme is a two-year, 120-ECTS-credit programme consisting of 90 course credits and 30 MSc thesis credits.
- Econometrics with Programming
- Advanced Macroeconomics
- Decision Theory and Information
“Best things about Norway are its breath-taking landscape and its people. Contrary to popular believes, the Norwegians could be very friendly, down-to-earth and sincere, once you have “broken the ice” to get to know them a little better. My study experience in Norway is enhanced by the teaching quality and diverse curriculum offered by BI, as well as the school’s wide range of initiatives and platforms for high-performing students, such as the Master Merit Society and the Dean’s List.“
Hoang-Dung Nguyen // Vietnam // MSc in Applied Economics
With a Master of Science in Applied Economics degree, you will be a relevant and attractive candidate for a great number of positions, both in the private and public sector. Since the basic concepts in Economics are transferrable, you will be able to work all over the world.